support plan of legionella prevention
for cooling towers
(in compliance with the new rbq regulation)
A maintenance program for operational cooling towers and evaporative condensers in Quebec must be implemented to cover all preventative maintenance measures required by the new regulation of the Quebec Building Authority (RBQ).
Magnus has developed a set of procedures and good operating practices to develop the necessary maintenance programs to comply with the various requirements of the new regulation. These maintenance programs, specifically designed to the conditions of the evaluated networks, are certified by our specialists (all members of different professional orders) and include the following information:
- the procedure for winterization and restart, if applicable;
- the procedure for intermittent operation;
- a decontamination procedure;
- measures to reduce corrosion, scaling and the accumulation of organic matter;
- a network schematic of the fl ow of cooling water;
- the procedure for maintaining the quality of water to minimize the growth of bacteria, including Legionella;
- a list of products and chemicals to be used along with their description, if applicable;
- means to check mechanical components and the equipment installation of cooling towers.
The maintenance program is developed taking into account the history of the network, including the age of the facility, major breakdowns and repairs, replacement of equipment and decontamination of the network due to a health risk.
Magnus has developed an archiving tool for its customers based on the scheduled activities in the maintenance program. Keeping an operation and maintenance register of cooling towers and evaporative condensers are mandatory for consultation at any time by the RBQ. Available in electronic or hard copy, the proposed logbook includes information, such as:
- details of the installation and its owner
- a brief description of the network, its components and its features
- network fl ow schematics, equipment lists and available plans
- operation and equipment maintenance manuals
- maintenance programs developed for the installation
- the analysis results of the last two years (from the beginning of the program)
- the history of maintenance activities, repairs and modifications
- contact details of the supervisor and other maintenance staff
- the registration form of the installation with the RBQ
Magnus offers two types of support according to the needs of the customer:
1) Turnkey Program :
Audit of the installation, documentation and implementation of the program of regular maintenance and archive logbook; certification of the program in accordance with the regulations; preparation of the registration form of the installation with the RBQ.
2) Certification Program :
Validation and certification of the customer maintenance program (certification by a qualified member of a professional order) in accordance with the regulations.